Monday, May 11, 2020

Covid-inspired Creating Part 2

For this particular project it's been on my heart and mind to find a way to create something purposeful and when we get back stateside, I hope to contribute in some way using my gift of sewing if masks are something people need. Please know that I have never had formal training, nor do I claim to be a sewing expert. I fumble, bumble and try to figure out my projects along the way.

One thing to note, I rarely look at other craft blog tutorials (if I going to post something) because there is a part of me that feels like that is cheating (if I did, I would have proper citations, hah!) and another part of me wants to figure it out for myself. I have internalized The Stanford d.school's design thinking process, or elements of it, when tackling a project.

So with that, I worked through a few iterations or prototypes of fabric mask making. I'll share the process in hopes to inspire you... (If you want to know more about how or why this was inspired, read Covid-inspired Creating Part 1

Before you begin, you'll need a sewing machine, rectangle fabric scraps and elastic. You really can do this as a beginner. Give it a try!


TIP: use elastic headbands! I used to score these 5 for $1 at the Dollar Tree back in the states. 

Prototype 1: Reversible Ear Flap Strap Mask 



Cut out two rectangles of fabric. I wish I had measurements, but I don't. Sorry! 
I am guessing around a 6 by 8 inch rectangle. 

Now, this was the first attempt, so I WOULD NOT do it this way. The elastic ends should have been stretched out a bit more to the corners, but go with it. 


Pin the elastic (close to the corner) and place the other piece on top. 

You are making a sandwich with the elastic on the inside. 

Sew with a zig-zag stitch. 

Check that the elastic is secure between the two pieces of fabric.

Repeat pinning and sewing the elastic on the other side, then run the zig zag stitch all the way around. 


You should have a pocket. 


Sew the fourth edge, leaving about 1.5 inch opening. 


Flip it inside out. 


You should have a small opening left. 


Tuck in the fabric and pull it tight. 


Pin it and use a straight stitch to sew all four sides. 


Press and trim the stray thread. 


Comfy fit, but it was too loose and the elastic would have been better if sewn in on the corners. 



Prototype 2: The Headband Mask 



I often do not have enough bobbins for the thread colors I use. 

TIP: If you are not anal or OCD, your top thread and and bobbin thread DO NOT HAVE to match. Really, I promise. Just choose colors that match the color scheme and you'll be surprised at the tiny extra detail of color. 


This was a 15 by 8 inch rectangle. 

Remember fan folding? I tried that out to make pleats. Fan fold and press with a hot iron after each fold. Press the entire piece to solidify folds. 

Cut in half so you have two equally sized rectangles. 


Go ahead and straight stitch both ends, on both pieces, so the pleats stay in place. 


Prep your sandwich. This time lay the elastic straight from end to end close to the corners. 


Pin and sew. 

*This was too tight for me so don't trim off the extra, use it so yours fits better than mine. 

Follow the same steps above, sewing all the sides and flipping it inside out. 


Straight stitch the entire side to close the opening. 

 

This one took a minute to get into. 


Strap one, over the head to rest at the base...  


Then pull up strap two. 

The elastic is also a little tight for Jovie, but it doubles well as a.... 


HEADBAND! 


This fits nicely. It just needs a little more room. 



 Stay safe, be inspired, go create something! 


No comments:

Post a Comment