Sunday, May 3, 2020

Pocketful of Poise Growing-up

Is it even really necessary to acknowledge that amount of time that I have been MIA? Writing this post, I can't believe the whirlwind we've been through in the last five years. As I write FIVE years, it's crazy to think about the time continuum that made this feel like a blink. You'll see Jovie in this post, a stark contrast to the tiny infant only a few weeks old when I wrote the last post.



I'll spare you many of the details, as this would take us a long while over many cups of coffee to catch up. You'll notice that our location changed from Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai. We've been here almost four years. I feel more changes are on the horizon.

In the time that I've been "away," I'd like to think that Keith and I did some proper growing up. We joke with our friends that we are still learning the whole "adulting" thing. You would think with a five and nine year old we may have this under our belt. We blame it on the fact that we've been together since we were way too young. Although we married and started our lives at an all too early age, the adulting thing is still something we strive for even after 15 years.

I would like to think that I have grown into less of a "girl" and can confidently say that I am a strong, brave, bold, loved woman who tries to love others. One of my close friends bought me a t-shirt that has become my motto... "Life is short, love big."

Service, growth and connection are the core values that resonate with me strongest and help to guide my decisions (although, like everyone else, I also have wasted days on Netflix). Learner, achiever and connectedness are my top three strengths from the strengths finder. I'm sure these change over time, but for now I really cling to the idea of being a life-long learner, working to achieve goals big and small, to feel productive and to recognize the interconnectedness of all of us (and to nature).

I've grown up quite a bit. More aware of our impact, we really try to not take straws, take our own bags and are working to live and model a less wasteful life for Jaxson and Jovie. I see a garden in our future and maybe even some chickens. I feel the happiest when I am barefoot in the grass, although I despise when my own children come running in the house with their tarnished feet. Living in Asia for eight years has engrained to keep the dirt and grime from feet and shoes at your doorstep.

Resurrecting the ol' crafting blog has happened for a few reasons. One, the most obvious, might be the global pandemic we are in. Although not far from the epi-center (after living in Malaysia and displaced for almost two months) we have returned to Shanghai only to find the space, time and much needed reflection needed for life trajectories to alter. With that said, I miss the crafty Kristy me that is in there. I miss making time to create. So, onto reason two... a desire to reignite this side of me and share it with you in hopes of inspiring you. (it's really just more accountability for me, however you've seen how that goes... hah)

For the moment, I feel like this will be something that I can try to come back to during 2020, more than I have in the last five years. I guess only time will tell.

If you are reading this, I pray you are healthy, making wise choices to keep you and your family safe. I hope you are finding joy in the small things and I wish you the time, space and reflection you need. I now this time has been a trial, but I am hopeful we will come out this stronger and more united with a clarity of who we want to be and how we can serve each other with authentic connections.

Love & Blessings to you,

Kristy

4 comments:

  1. Hey friend! Glad to see you back at it. Your reasoning for this is exactly why I started my blog so many years ago. It does help bring accountability and consistency with your creative side. I look forward to seeing some wonderful content on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, this is fantastic! You're making me ponder how I could resurrect my short-lived travel blog. :)

    ReplyDelete