Sunday, May 3, 2020

Yes Another Headband...


Okay, the inaugural post to welcome me back into the crafting blogger world had to be a headband tutorial... I will not apologize for this. I have and will probably always like headbands, even if I do not wear them as much as I did in my twenties.

Think NO Sew Scarf meets Handband Weaving (previous posts... from a long, long time ago) 

What started as a project to FINALLY cut up all those t-shirts sitting in a tub waiting to become a quilt... 

Quickly became an inspired opportunity to make an easy and super comfortable headband! 


We're rockin' it sweatband style! 

I'm a little rusty, but see if you can follow along. I would love to see what you create. 
You know you have old tees sitting around waiting to be renewed and upcycled! 

This is one of those projects that do not require fancy tools. I promise. They just make it go quicker. 

You can use any pair of sharp scissors and cut the bottom off a t-shirt. Cut straight across from armpit to armpit so you have a rectangle. 
Cut strings from seam to seam. Then cut the seams off. 
You'll end up with six strips. (or how every many you want)

Fun fact about t-shirt jersey:
it stretches and becomes a big soft and yarn-like when you give it a hard tug 

(hence the no need for tidy lines, once you pull it, it will roll into itself and edges will be hidden)


Pull on all six strips. 

Lay out as shown. 


Hopefully you can braid. If you can't, well... ask a friend to help you with this project (one who can braid). 

Imagine you are braiding... basically, the three strands on the right and the three strands on the left...




Then you cross the middle strands and keep going... I don't think you can mess this up. 

Gently tug, separate the strands as you go... do NOT pull too hard. 



You don't have to sew it at this point. You could tie it off with small rubber bands or maybe pin it. 

If you do have a sewing machine, just run through the ends. 
Overlap slightly and secure the ends together. 

With extra strips, you will wrap all that mess up. 


Tie off one end and leave some hanging out. You will tuck this into the wrapped part. Really there is not right or wrong way to do this. Play with it. You want the ends tied and tucked so it won't unravel. It also makes it sit nicely at the back of the head comfortably. 


And there you have it! 



Play around with colors... I guess you could chose to do a multi-colored one. That might look cool. (Do people still say cool?) 

I made a 5 strand one for Jovie because I didn't want it too wide on her small head. 


Here's that not so tiny baby now... 

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! If you do get inspired let me know! It will keep me going. 

Happy Crafting 

No comments:

Post a Comment