Saturday, August 13, 2011

Headband Weaving...


Good evening readers! Tonight I bring to you headband weaving...  I feel I must give you a "Crafter's Warning" before you begin this project. It is not to scare you off, I know you can do this, but there are some things you might want to know before beginning. First, you will get confused at some or multiple points of weaving your yarn and second, your foot may cramp as it plays an integral part in the production of this headband.  So, there's your warning. Attempt at your own risk. (Also, my Nikon wasn't charged so I had to resort to the "other" camera and therefore the pictures are not that great.)

Here is what you need:
  • One elastic hair rubber band
  • Yarn
  • Felt
 I started by measuring around my head and doubling it. As you'll see later that was way too much, but I would rather have too much than not enough.  Use that piece to measure out nine more equal pieces of yarn for a total of ten. Lay them flat and next to one another on the small square inch of felt. Add your rubber band and fold your felt in half.

 Use the sewing machine to stitch and back stitch all way across the felt.

 Carefully trim down the felt so it is the width of the yarn.

 (Here is where you need your foot... I had to crop out my toes because I desperately need a pedicure!)
Separate the ten pieces of yarn into five groups of two.

 I hope you know how to weave otherwise this may not make sense.  I will give it my best shot.  Your basic rule of thumb is over, under, over, under, etc.  It helps if you keep four pieces pulled towards the left and one hanging off to the right. Take the farthest left strand and always start over, then under, and over. At this point it should look like the picture above.  Take the strand all the way out on the right and pull it over the one you just weaved.  Repeat this process.

Hint: Don't pull it tight and keep the yarn as flat as possible.

 See I told you I measured way too much!


 Cut off the remaining ends. Use the other piece of felt, lay the yarn in it with the rubber band and sew in place; back stitching all the way across.

 Again, trim down the excess felt to match the width of the yarn.


And there you go!! I can't wait to try this with other materials. 
Let me know if you try it so I can post some pictures.

1 comment: